Monday 12 September 2011

ONE MONTH mark!! : )


Hey Everyone!! :)
SO...sorry for not updating you in awhile but unfortunately I have had little to update you on unless you want to hear about my papers and group presentations. Which you don’t, promise. This past weekend was a lot of fun though! I went out Thursday, Friday and Saturday so I was exhausted by Sunday. I have more work this week than last week so I probably wont have much to update you on this week either...

Thursday I had an all day (9-4) field trip for my “aboriginal class.” Our teacher, Jennifer, is actually really awesome and so laid back. Her mom is Australian and dad is Aboriginal...I wont go into it but she is awesome. She would totally live in Seattle (Nancy...) if she were American. She truly believes that we should all be able to go around and tell a personal story, rather than write papers/take a test. If only she could run the academic portion of this program…

First, we went to the New South Wales Art Gallery which was super awesome! Arlie, you would have really loved this museum! I kept thinking back to freshman year art history flashcards when i was reading about each painting...
I snuck some pics of my favorite artwork...(below). Some are really bad quality because I took them with my iphone…which I take places that photos are forbidden because it is super sneaky. 

Then we walked around the Botanical Gardens downtown (KK you would LOVE this part- so green!!) Then we walked around the harbor and had a 2-hour lunch and called it a day. It was actually a great educational day! Woo!

The only issue was that Jen would stop at every tree/bush/blade of grass and pick it up and smell it and crush it in her hands and tell us what kind of remedy she could make out of it. My friend Danya and I were getting SOOOO impatient. However, if you have a cold of any sorts, let me know and ill send you some local "flora."
NSW art gallery


My favorite painting of all...I first thought it was a sea turtle...then a skull...then I was told it was an abstract painting of the Sydney harbor. The blue lines going in and out represent all the ships/boats and if you look closely/hallucinate a little bit you can find the opera house/bridge in the top right-ish corner


The one thing from the aboriginal exhibit I liked/could get a pic of
New favorite place in Sydney..Botanical Gardens!!
This is horrible quality but if you look closely (in the top left corner) you can see a bunch of bats hanging upside down. They eat/crap/throw up (which they do a lot apparently) out of the same hole by the way. Its thrilling...

Most beautiful green city ever!!

Had lunch here in the harbor!!
 




But as far as this past weekend goes….Thursday night, I forget what I did. I don’t know why but I cant think that far back..
My friend Maggie and I (Skylar she reminds me of you so much!! ) WERE going to wake up on Friday morning at 5am and take the bus down to the harbor to get some cool sunrise pictures with the bridge/Opera house/Harbor, etc. That plan failed. I was too hungover and her alarm didn’t go off..so plan failed miserably. There is also this pancake place on "the rocks" (a specific place overlooking the harbor) creatively named “pancakes on the rocks” that will be a great incentive to wake up at 5am. I WILL do it before I leave! I am determined. I think I might have to stay up all night though because my body does NOT react to 5am wake-up calls whatsoever…? 

Friday, I was pulled out of bed at 7pm by Peter and told that my "daily activities reflected that of a 95-year-old woman on Medicare" and to get it together and come out with him. So I did. It ended up being the most fun of the 3 nights! Way to go, Peter.
First, we went to this cool place called “iBar” in King’s Cross. King’s Cross is sort of like a toned-down version of Times Square. Actually that’s a pretty horrible comparison. 
We ended up at another random bar/club thing called “tunnel” that had was SO awesome inside. We ended the night at one of the “backpacker bars” that the program leaders suggest we avoid because it is full Americans and Irish tourists and we wont be fully “submerged in the culture.” They are right. We normally end up ending the night at one of these bars though, especially since they are all within a few blocks of our dorms. This particular one, Scruffy Murphy’s (great name, huh?!), is my favorite! It has SUCH great American music from back in the day…as in like the 90s…and the DJ and I have a mutual respect for one another…So my song requests are taken pretty seriously. So the night was a success!! 
Peter, Alexa and I on either Thursday, Friday or Saturday?
Saturday afternoon I forget what I did but I do know that I walked to Darling Harbor (Peter is obsessed) to get ice cream with Peter and we ended up walking around downtown Sydney for a few hours. It was a lot of fun though! Darling Harbor is like a mini version of Sydney Harbor about a 10 min walk away..Peter is very entertaining/hilarious so these excursion to Darling Harbor with him are always fun!
**Sophie- one of his favorite movies of all time is “Lifesize”(featuring Tyra banks and Lindsey Lohan). He knows the lyrics to "Eve's song about Sunnyville" hahaha!! How great is that?!**
He

Saturday I went out without a group of 5 or so people to a place called Surry Hills. It is like a 20 min walk and has a lot of fun vintage-y stores. It is also very hilly, so wearing 4-inch wedges is never a good idea. Anyway, my friend, Julian, led us around on a bar crawl to some cool bars in the area. I also lost my THIRD phone within the first 20 min of the night. I honestly don’t know what my problem is. Thank goodness they give us go-phones that are only 25$. However, having spent 100$ on phones since I have been here, I PROMISE you I will not lose this 4th one. 
Anyway, I got to see a new area and it was different than a normal night out so it was a lot fun!!

The night ended with my friend, Kelly (from London but goes to Gettysburg), and I going to another “backpackers bar” and ending the night with fries and a 50-cent ice cream cone from McDonalds.

So all in all- the weekend was a blast!! It was a much needed break after last week/before this week….

Im not sure why I started this post out with "I probably wont have much to update yall on"...I clearly can talk about nothing for a very long time. Woops! 
Anyway, miss you all and hope yall are having a great September!! xo

PS- I know everything about the aboriginal culture.

PPS- Stay tuned for a post about last nights activities!! VERY exciting (for me, at least)...




No comments:

Post a Comment